You may think that eating healthy means eating becomes boring, but it really doesn’t have to be that way. Below are some ideas on what foods to swap out to cut calories while still eating delicious (and healthy) food.
Here are some easy swaps that save big calories:
These simple swaps should be easy to incorporate into your healthy lifestyle. But if you are looking for more information on how to make these simple food changes Contact Natatia at Functional Performance Fitness to talk about your nutrition goals!
Cherry Pie Crumble Bars
Serve this delicious and healthy dessert at your next BBQ!
For the Dough:
• 3/4 cup chopped almonds
• 2 cups gluten free oat flour
• 1 cup quick oats
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup maple syrup
• 1/2 cup coconut oil
For the Cherry Filling:
• 4 cups frozen cherries
• 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x9 inch baking dish with parchment paper.
2. Spread the almonds out on a baking sheet and bake for about 7 minutes until golden brown. Set aside.
3. In a bowl, combine oat flour, quick oats and salt. Stir in maple syrup and coconut oil. Using your hands, pinch mixture together to incorporate coconut oil.
4. Add walnuts, and knead to combine.
5. Press 2/3 of the mixture into baking dish, making sure it’s one solid crust. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, add the frozen cherries into a saucepan. Heat over medium heat until the cherries are defrosted and the sauce is simmering. Use a fork or potato masher to gently break cherries into smaller pieces. Remove from heat, add in the arrowroot starch mixture. Return to heat and simmer. Remove from the heat and set aside.
7. Pour the cherry filling over the baked crust and sprinkle on the remaining crumble.
8. Bake uncovered for 14 to 18 minutes, until the topping is firm.
9. Let cool for 45 to 60 minutes.
I'm Natatia Gemmell. No matter how busy life gets, eating well and exercising is always a priority! I LOVE fitness, and I teach my clients how to stay on the health & fitness path by exercising, eating better and staying healthy!