When you’re trying to lose weight what doesn’t get in the way right? Whether it’s work, play, kid’s activities, family obligations; the barriers are always there right? These are several of the pitfalls along the way, so let’s break it down to make your weight-loss journey a success.
1. So many of us focus primarily on what we CANNOT eat. Throw that idea out the door! First put your focus on eating less and then what you CAN eat. There are plenty of nutritious foods available that are easy to make for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Avocado toast is a great and delicious way to get a jump-start on your morning, a Hummus wrap for lunch, and a savory soup in the evening for dinner…all these are super easy to make and healthy too!
2. Guess what? It’s NOT all or nothing. Statistics show that depriving yourself of things you love will typically lead to failure. Don’t deprive, revive! Love pasta? Instead of a creamy fattening sauce, try a whole-wheat pasta with veggies. The herbs and spices will satisfy even the pickiest eater.
3. Don’t have a plan? You’re setting yourself up for failure. The pounds didn’t add up overnight and taking them off isn’t going to happen overnight. A solid plan of just a few attainable specific weekly or monthly goals at a time will help you make lifelong habits.
4. Don’t cut food groups. Eat balanced meals and snacks that include healthy protein, carbs & fats. Forget the latest diet trend, eat balanced and nutritious meals and you’ll beat the scale.
5. Don’t replace meals with green juices and smoothies. Often the ingredients in these are not satisfying leading to eating more later. They often don’t offer the right amount of nutrients and can be loaded with sugar.
6. Don’t restrict your calories. Eating less is typically the best way to lose weight, although this is because you’re probably eating too much. But actually restricting your calories can backfire. Think about the quality of the foods you’re eating first.
7. It used to be the trend…low fat…remember that? But research is now showing that this isn’t so good for you. There are plenty of healthy and delicious foods high in fat you should have in your diet such as, nuts, avocados, whole eggs, and extra virgin olive oil.
When it comes to maintaining a healthy weight there are more benefits than just weight-loss. Many of us will be able to better manage chronic diseases, manage our stress, make new friends, improve our mood, and protect ourselves from future health problems. And this is important for people of all ages! Start implementing healthy eating early in your child’s life, and it’s not too late for you either. Did you know one in four adult Canadians and one in 10 children have clinical obesity, meaning six million Canadians living with obesity may require immediate support in managing and controlling their weight? Don’t be a statistic…you can find delicious and healthy recipes with simple Google search.
At Functional Performance Fitness we also offer nutrition guidance, CONTACT NATATIA for more information about the challenges you have when it comes to eating a health diet. We also have some DELICIOUS RECIPES for you to check out!
I'm Natatia Gemmell. No matter how busy life gets, eating well and exercising is always a priority! I LOVE fitness, and I share my passion for exercising and clean eating with my friends and family, And I want to share with you too! Let me know how your next recipe turns out!