You may be thinking about losing some weight and did you know that what you eat has 80% to do with successful weight loss? It’s true, and one of the best ways to insure that you’re eating properly is to start tracking everything you eat and drink.
Start a food journal and reap the rewards! There are studies that show by keeping a food journal you’ll have more success of not only dropping the pounds, but also keeping those pounds off.
What happens when you starting logging what you eat and drink?
1. You’ll create awareness. Our days are full of shuffling work, family, pets and friends this makes it easy to mindlessly eat. Once you start logging every meal, snack and drink you’ll gain yourself some perspective.
2. You’ll keep yourself accountable. Once you start logging everything you put in your mouth you may just think twice about eating it.
3. It’s eye opening. Once you review your food journal you may just find that you’ve consumed far more calories than you guessed. This allows you to spot your weaknesses and improve your eating habits.
4. It’s encouraging. The longer you log the more information you’ll have about your eating habits and how they’ve changed. Give yourself a pat on the back!
Are you onboard but not sure on how to start your food log? Here are some ideas to get you started.
1. You may want to choose an actual notebook and write in it, or you may choose an online app like MyFitnessPal and LoseIt!. Or pull out your smartphone and take a picture!
2. If you’re writing in a notebook it may be helpful to record the times you eat and how you’re feeling. This can give you insight to why you chose to eat what you ate.
3. Be sure to keep track as you have that snack, meal or drink. It’s easy to forget what you ate and how much at the end of a busy day.
4. Don’t fib. This is about your health, track everything you eat and drink, even a small bite or a sip.
5. Don’t worry about calories, be aware, but don’t obsess. Commit to your food journal first then move to calorie counting once you’ve established the logging habit.
Once you’ve determined your weaknesses with your food journal you can start implementing eating less and eating MORE of what is healthy for you. Indulgences are to be expected and even enjoyed, just be sure to include more fruits, veggies and good proteins in your weekly menu. If you’re feeling challenged when it comes to eating the right foods, set up a consultation with Natatia. Natatia can assist you in putting together a nutritious and tasty meal plan!
I'm Natatia Gemmell.